Thursday, July 16, 2009

Bastille Day 2009 - We's got concrete

The day before - uncovered, approved by the county, and [almost] ready for the concreteThis years new crop of quail babies are now flying
but maybe not as stylishly as the adults
Bastille Day...

dawned bright and sunny. The lead-up was a succession of at least 14 h days on site, lots of heavy work for both of us, dealing with 35 deg C [95 F] temperatures or unexpected deluges [see previous post], and thankfully with a little help from our friends.

The day before Bastille Day we went from about 6 am to 11 pm and were back on site before the concretors, at about 5 am Tuesday - Bastille Day. We thought we could just sit back and watch the progress; the joke was on us. The immediate prelude to the concrete was a hectic flurry of last minute necessities, we did not seem to stop actually running from one task to the next.
The boss supervising
More running, the concrete pump operator stumbled ["multi tasking" on his cell phone - see photo above] and stepped between the styrofoam forms where there is no structure and fell through leaving a 6 foot by 1 foot hole. This is the emergency shoring we did to plug up the hole. It's the piece of plywood towards the back with the less-than-vertical bracing underneath. I won't go into the details.
Nearly finished.
Facing the porch
Watering down the setting concrete in the setting sun. Some of these floors are going to be finished concrete with a pattern of cuts. We elected to put in the control joints [cuts] ourselves. This meant we needed to keep the concrete wet until we cut them the next day to stop it from cracking. The next day [no pictures - too busy] we cut control joints with a circular saw and diamond blade [see ] for an idea.

No comments: